Nova Vita Domestic Violence Prevention Services is a 33 – bed emergency shelter for women and their children experiencing abuse or homelessness. At Nova Vita we provide our families with a safe, supportive and comfortable place to live while they transition through difficult times. Women staying in the shelter as well as women in the community receive our services. Our facilities are equipped with a state of the art security system that ensures the safety of all residents. Counselling and support is offered 24 hours a day by calling our crisis line: 519-752-HELP (4357).
While staying in our shelter, women participate in programming and have access to the following residential services:
- an assigned caseworker
- a housing worker to explore housing options
- identification clinic
- domestic violence and life skills groups
- counselling and Early Childhood Education programming for children
- a Public Health Nurse
- a strong network of community services i.e. police, Woodview, Contact Brant, FACS, St. Leonard’s, probation, Sexual Assault Centre, etc.
- court support and access to brief legal services
- Interpreter, translation services, and assistance with immigration issues
- a number of recreational activities i.e. Yoga, Bingo, community outings, field trips, art workshops, etc.
- basic necessities i.e. toiletries, clothing, household items, children’s needs, etc.
Meals are prepared in the kitchen and shared in a large dining room. Women prepare breakfast, and lunches for their families from our well stocked kitchen while our cook prepares dinner during the week. The women are responsible for all meals during the weekend. The women have the opportunity to watch dinner preparation and find out about nutritional value and recipes. We also run a program called program called “Tasty Tuesdays” where children and their moms learn about the different food groups and assist to put together a meal that contains all four food groups.
Nova Vita accommodates special dietary needs for our families.
When women and their children come to Nova Vita, we are able to provide all families with their own bedroom. Personal items are given to women and children on arrival. Nova Vita is fully accessible, including an elevator and accessible washrooms.
Living Room #1
Living Room #2
The Child and Youth Worker and Early Childhood Educator created this community
garden with the assistance of the resident children. We are currently growing parsley,
lettuce, and eggplant. Each day the children water the garden. All food produced goes
back into the shelter for residents to use.